If you’ve been sleeping all day and haven’t heard, there’s been some beer news.
On January 7, 2015, The Beer Store announced that they would be “opening up ownership opportunities” to all Ontario breweries.
You can read the full scoop over on blogTO where I broke it all down the morning it happened.
Since the news broke, there’s been a veritable shit storm of activity as people reacted and responded to the news. At first, the news seemed like a PR masterstroke. The Beer Store changed the conversation that had largely been about their unfair monopoly up until now and instead issued what would surely be seen as a great step forward for Ontario beer. Right?
Well, not so much.
Reaction has been pretty swift and not all that supportive. People aren’t taking too kindly to the Beer Store, arguably the source of the problem, opting to be the solution to the problem and the move has come off as, at best, a token gesture and, at worst, insulting.
Here’s a round-up of the fallout:
TV and Radio
Jason Fisher of the Indie Alehouse really got the fun started this morning by responding on AM1010 with Jerry Agar (skip to 39:38) and then The Beer Store’s Jeff Newton joined Jerry and got pretty roundly flustered. Lovely stuff.
- The Ontario’s Craft Brewers, who evidently weren’t consulted on this move, issued a statement late this afternoon that was essentially “WTF.”
- City News Toronto chatted with Great Lakes Brewery’s Peter Bulut Jr.
- Peter also appeared on Global News alongside Beer Writer Crystal Luxmore.
- Later on Global, the clip of Peter ran again, and Leslie Roberts chatted with Jason Fisher.
- CTV chatted Beer Writer Stephen Beaumont and, you guessed, it Peter Bulut Jr. Man that guy gets around!
- Steve Beauchesne of Beau’s All Natural Brewing Company chatted with the CBC’s Lorenda Reddicop.
- John Romano, co-founder of Better Bitters Brewing in Burlington chatted with CHCH.
- Steve also chatted with CBC Radio’s As it Happens (skip to 7:10)
- Jason Fisher was on The Exchange with Amanda Lang on CBC last night.
- Jason was also on The Morning Show on Global
- And, running neck and neck with Peter for media darling this week, Jason also went on CBC’s Metro Morning Radio Thursday.
Print Media Coverage
- Beer Store says it will open up ownership to all Ontario-based brewers CTV News Ottawa
- Ontario brewers say Beer Store changes don’t go far enough CP24
- Beer Store opens ownership to Ontario-based brewers City News Toronto
- Foreign-owned Beer Store says it will open up ownership to all Ontario-based brewers National Post
- Beer Store’s move to open up ownership deemed ‘self-serving’ The Globe and Mail
- Ontario craft brewers balk at Beer Store offer Ottawa Citizen
- Beer Store opens ownership to all Ontario-based brewers CBC
- The Beer Store to open up ownership to craft breweries Toronto Star
- Beer Token Gesture Torontoist
- Craft Brewers mixed on Beer Store Ottawa Sun
Photo by Robin LeBlanc
- Craft Brewers Not Consulted on Beer Store proposal Crystal Luxmore
- My obligatory The Beer Store critique Toronto Beer Blog
- A Word of Advice for Ontario Breweries… St. John’s Wort
In the interest of keeping the conversation going and maintaining a resource for everyone to share in the fun, please share your links or news schedule tips as comments here.